Friday 14 March 2014

The Most Challenging Substyles, And How To Pull Them Off: Punk-Lolita

Many of the lolita substyles tend to be kind of tricky to execute. Many of them are difficult as a style, because most of the substyles are playing with elements from other styles. Combining two styles can be a challenge and it needs a lot of background work, so you can successfully mix unfamiliar elements to lolita. Let's face it, the general lolita style is kind of based on same, repeating elements such as basic accessories (bows, roses etc.) and themes in prints. That's the reason why I really like many of the lolita substyles. They bring something new and exiting to lolita.


This week I'm talking about punk-lolita. Punk has been kind of a personal thing for me for a long time, because as a teenager I used to be a punker.
I still like to listen punk every now and then. My personal style is often kind of punk-inspired. I like studs, spikes and leather in my normal clothing. I've been thinking for a long time, that punk-lolita should be more popular. I think it's clearly underrated. The biggest problem within punk-lolita in my oppinion is that people tend to think that punk-lolita is only about pleated tartan skirts, ripped clothes from Putumayo or h.NAOTO and bit awkward looking coordinations. Maybe it's because the style itself isn't that popular, it hasn't even evolved that much. If we think about punk style, it's not as general as people might think. The style itself has changed a lot since the 70's, though some of the elements are still the same. Leather, spikes, studs, platforms, creepers and piercings are still popular. So why not use these in the new wave of punk-lolita? 



 


So how to execute punk lolita well? Take a basic lolita elements, such as a JSK, one piece or a skirt and start adding other elements to it. Studs are a big part of punk, use them. You can also add band shirts (not too baggy ones), fishnet stockings/tights, skulls and even combat boots to your coord. The main idea of this style is in my opinion to have fun. Play around with different kind of accessories and jewelry. You can mix harsh and cute elements together (lace and spikes). And don't forget, punk is not only about the style. It's also about music. Here are a couple of coordinations I put together (and I didn't use tartan at all!)




Jacket: Gina Tricot
JSK: Alice and the Pirates
Leggings: Black Milk
Creepers and headband: eBay


Skirt: Angelic Pretty
Jacket: Storenvy
T-shirt: Hellcat Punks
Shoes: Storenvy
Stockings: Luulla
Headband: eBay
Earrings: Storenvy
Bracelet: eBay
Choker: Creepyyeha


JSK: Angelic Pretty
Blouse: Alice and the Pirates
Boots: eBay
Spike crown: etsy
Jewelry: Alexander McQueen




What's your favorite substyle and if you've tried it how did it go?

P.S.



4 comments:

  1. Ahhh, I totally love this post! I definitely agree that you can pull off Punk Lolita by following your tips. I feel like it doesn't suit me too well, but I love looking at the coordinates I find.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can enjoy a certain style even if you don't feel like it's really "you", right? Thank you for your comment! <3

      Delete
  2. I completely agree with you about punk lolita! Tartan is cute but it's so overdone and I wish punk lolita would make a comeback. I actually made a post a month ago on my blog speculating how punk lolita could look now as opposed to 8 years ago.

    I love that Kera ad you posted. I would love to see a more offbeat lolita style in bright colors and mixing interesting items together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that punk will rise again :D. Some of the substyles can also be afflicted by other fashion "waves", so if punk makes a big comeback in other styles, maybe it affects lolita too. I read your post, the outfits were really cute!

      Delete